Designer Womenswear by Victoria Beckham
View Victoria Beckham Fashion collections on London Fashion Review Blog
Victoria Beckham: Fledgling Fashionista
Victoria Beckham first found fame as ‘Posh Spice’ in the all-British girl group of the nineties – the Spice Girls. The world famous pop-group split in 2000,leading to Victoria’s short stint as a solo artist. The solo career was certainly not as successful, leading to Victoria turning her attentions to the fashion industry.
Throughout the early years of the 21st century, Victoria modelled both on the catwalk and in advertising campaigns for various brands and designers including Rocawear, Roberto Cavalli and Maria Grachvogel. It wasn’t until 2004 that Victoria Beckham made the first steps to creating her own fashion line with the launch of a capsule jean collection for fashion label, Rock and Republic. In 2006, the collaboration with Rock and Republic ended and Victoria branched out on her own creating a line of sunglasses and her own denim collection called dVb Style. Victoria Beckham had officially made the transit from pop-start to fashion designer. The rest as they say, is history.
The Victoria Beckham Brand: A Timeline Snapshot
“I always wanted to be a fashion designer. Then along came the Spice Girls which opened a lot of doors for me. And, let¹s be honest, closed a lot. But those days are over. I was never going to be the world’s best singer, but I hope I can be a good designer.” – Victoria Beckham
Victoria Beckham had modelled for other designers and created capsule collections for Rock and Republic before finally achieving her dream of becoming a fully fledged fashion designer in 2008, when her first collection was debuted at Waldorf Hotel, New York. The collection consisted of ten dress designs, in various colours, each adhering to the aesthetic the designer has favoured in her own wardrobe; slender calf-length fitted dresses with raised waists. The collection positively surprised critics and retailers. The Victoria Beckham brand was born.
Since its inception, the Victoria Beckham fashion label has rapidly expanded. As of 2011, Victoria Beckham had shown five successful seasons of her womenswear collection, with a range of celebrities endorsing the designs. Cameron Diaz at the Oscars, Dannii Minogue on X-Factor and Leighton Meester on Gossip Girl are just a few.
The Victoria Beckham range has expanded to include more than just dresses, including a denim line, eyewear line and range of handbags. Victoria Beckham is a global brand selling in many countries throughout the world including Canada, US, China, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Russia, Lebanon, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates.
- 2000: Victoria Beckham takes to the catwalk for the first time, modelling for Maria Grachvogel.
- 2003: Victoria Beckham features in an advertising campaign as the face of fashion brand, Rocawear, rapper Jay-Z’s label.
- 2004: Victoria Beckham creates a capsule denim collection, called VB Rocks for fashion label Rock and Republic.
- 2006: 2006 was a busy year for Victoria Beckham. She was back on the catwalk, this time for close friend Robert Cavalli at Milan Fashion week. Also this year, Beckham acted as fashion editor for magazine Harpers Bazaar, released a sunglasses collection, and her collaboration with Rock and Republic comes to an end. After the relationship with Rock and Republic ended, Victoria Beckham launches her own denim collection, a fragrance line and range of handbags and jewellery in association with the Japanese store, Samantha Thavasa.
- 2007: The dVb Denim collection is launched at Saks Fifth Avenue in New York. Additionally, the Victoria Beckham eyewear range and Intimately Beckham make their debut in the US market, and cosmetics range V-sculpt was launched in Tokyo.
- 2008: The first Victoria Beckham womenswear collection debuts at the Waldorf Hotel during New York Fashion Week to critical acclaim. Also this year Victoria Beckham launches the dVb men’s denim range and is featured as the face of the collection of fellow designer, Marc Jacobs
- 2009: Following in her husbands (David Beckham), footsteps, Victoria models underwear for Emporio Armani.
- 2010: Victoria Beckham releases her first handbag collection – which sells out.
- 2011: Victoria Beckham designs a £8,995 white crocodile skin handbag for British department store Selfridges’ ‘White Christmas’ innitiative.The ‘White Christmas’ innitiative also includes a £620 wedding dress by Brazilian designer Daniella Helayel and white silk underwear by Nichole de Carle featuring a real diamond, at £300 and cashmere babygrow’s from Baby Dior costing £550.
The White Crocodile Skin Handbag Victoria Beckham Created for Selfridge’s White Christmas Innitiative.
Future of the Victoria Beckham Brand
With Designer friends such as Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Jacobs, Roland Mouret, Robert Cavalli and Dolce & Gabanna, as well as sell-out dresses and handbag collections, Victoria Beckham’s future in the fashion industry looks well-placed.Expect to see further global expansion of the brand and continual evolution of her design aesthetic.
Additionally, fans of the Victoria Beckham brand will be delighted to know that they will be launching a lower priced line ‘Victoria by Victoria Beckham’ in the Spring of 2012. The ultra-girly collection is inspired by Emily the Strange, an edgy adolesecnt cartoon character and features loose silhouettes creating shapes reminiscent of the 1960’s.
To see a sneak peak of this upcoming collection, check out the Fashion Review preview, here.
Visit the official Victoria Beckham website, here.